Walker Family

Walker Family

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Today Is Your Birthday, Shout Hooray! Abby Is 11!

When I was 16 years old I had to have my appendix out.  It just so happens that I had to have them out on July 2.  Now, I was 16 a long, long, long time ago.  Back then, you had to stay in the hospital for three days after the surgery.  That particular year, my cousins came from Las Vegas to celebrate the 4th of July with our family.  I have always love, love, loved the 4th of July, so I was ecstatic they were coming.  My unfortunate appendicitis killed all my plans that year.  I was stuck in the hospital on the 4th and I was really, really not happy about it.  I remember laying in that stupid hospital bed and vowing that I would never, ever, never, never, never spend another 4th of July in the hospital.  I remember my mom telling me I shouldn't say never.  It turns out she was right...again.  :)
 
Fast forward more years than I care to count, and it's July 2 again.  I'm in labor with little miss Abby. The cute little munchkin made her appearance at 4:00 a.m. on July 3, 2001.  After more complications than I care to get in to, it quickly became apparent that my vow of never spending another 4th of July in the hospital was premature on my part.  However, I'm happy to report that my perspective had changed over the years.  We had our own little celebration that night.  Just Jared, two year old Jenna, our new little Abby and me.  It turns out when you're laying in a hospital bed, holding a perfect little bundle of cuteness straight from heaven, it makes it all worth missing the customary 4th of July celebrating.


Our little bundle has grown up though.  She turned 11 today amidst smiles and excitement.


Abby gets more excited about her birthday than any child in our family.  One year she began the countdown to her special day 80 days out!  So, I wasn't surprised at all when she woke up with a bounce in her step and excitement pouring off of her.  She was thrilled to open her gifts and even more excited to spend the day at the pool with her family.  After that, we ended up back at the house for tacos (Abby's favorite) and German chocolate cake (her apparent new favorite).




Seriously!  Have you ever seen such a smile?  Really, she is the happiest kid ever!



Isn't she darling?  Happy Birthday, Abby!  I love your happy, positive spirit that you bring to our family.  I love how much you love your siblings and care for them.  I appreciate how willing you are to always help around the house with whatever needs done.  You are such a selfless, loving person.  I hope you always stay that way, it's a fabulous way to be.  You love other people and are always caring for those who others aren't kind to, you treat other people exactly the way Heavenly Father wants you to.  You are a great example to others.  I'm so thankful you are in our family, I love you with all my heart!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment