Walker Family

Walker Family

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Consequences of a News Junkie Husband and Daughter

I must warn you that this post might be a TMI moment, but I had to put it on this blog so I wouldn't forget it.  I've been putting it off because I'm not sure I should put it on this blog.  However, I'm trusting all those people who have gone before who say I will forget all these things and wish I hadn't.  So, here goes.

The local elections were held here a couple of weeks ago.   The day after, the kids and I were driving over to my dad's house.  Ethan asked who won the election between two particular candidates for our state senate.  Then he asked who won between Romney and Obama.  I explained that the election to decide that wouldn't be until November.  Abby commented that she hoped Romney would win.   Before I continue, I should tell you that Jared is a news junkie.  Because of this, Jenna (age 13) watches the news with him and asks a million questions about current events.  Most of the time, I think it's good to be informed about the world around you.  This was not one of those times.  (Hint:  This is where the TMI comes in to play.)

After Abby's comment, Jenna piped in with, "I don't think Romney will win.  He doesn't have the lesbian vote.  Obama wants to legalize gay marriage and Romney won't.  That's going to hurt him."  Inside I'm thinking, "Really!!!  Everything you've watched about the two candidates and THIS is what you decide to bring up with my 8 and 5 year olds in the car!!!"  However, the adult in me said, "Jenna, let's talk about this at a later time when there aren't so many little people listening."  By the way, that's not the worst part, this is.

Sadie (age 5) says, "Why do two girls want to be married anyway?  You can't have babies when you have two girls, you need a mom and a dad to have babies."  This time I was not an adult, I screamed, "What!!!"  Jenna quickly assured me she had nothing to do with this comment.  

I pulled into my dad's driveway and jumped out of the car.  After instructing Sadie that comments like that were best said only to her mom in private, I sent everyone in the house.  Then, I called Jared.  After explaining the situation to him and freaking out just a little bit, he graciously talked me down from the ledge.  "Stacy, she doesn't know anything.  She sees the world around her and has figured out that a family has a mom, a dad and kids.  That's all."  This seemed like a reasonable explanation to me.  He continued, "We are going to ignore it and not make a big deal of it.  The bigger deal we make of it, the bigger deal she will think it is."  Lesson learned, a little more discussion about what is appropriate to say in front of younger siblings with Jenna.  

It turns out my baby is still innocent.  Crisis averted.



No comments:

Post a Comment