Walker Family

Walker Family

Monday, July 9, 2012

July 4, 2012

WARNING!  This is a really, really, really long post!

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays.  It's a great time for love of country, family togetherness, food, parades and fireworks.




This year we celebrated in typical Allen family fashion.  My brother, Dave, along with his brother-in-law, Joe, are the great organizers of the family "parade experience".  Each year brings new ideas and developments to make the parade more fun and enjoyable.  The night before the parade they collect everybody's chairs and canopies.  Everyone also brings food and drinks to share.  They set up on 100 South and 100 East in Provo and sleep out all night in order to keep our prime real estate.


That's us!  All set up and ready for the parade to begin.

One tradition that started a long time ago is what I like to call the "Mohawk Maniacs".  A bunch of the kids and dads grow their hair out and then on July 3 they shave all the extra so they have mohawks.  Most of them also color them red, white and/or blue.  Here's this year's group.


You'll notice the Jared and Ethan are not in this picture.  If you know Jared, that's explanation enough for why he isn't sporting a mohawk.  Needless to say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and Ethan wants no part of the mohawk business.  Personally, I would never wear a mohawk, so I can understand their point of view.

Before the parade can start we have to do some pre-parade games though.  This year the kids all filled their mouths with marshmallows and screamed, "We love the 4th of July!"



Abby and Brynn were such good sports!


That's Sadie asking, "What am I supposed to do?"


There's Jenna, "politely declining" the opportunity to play this game.

After that we played a cheering game with the random group of people on the opposite side of the street.  Whoever cheered loudest got the candy that Dave and Joe threw into the crowd.   There were two additions to the party this year.  This huge chair was one of them.  So ridiculously funny!



 
Here are the "parade experience" organizers.  My brother, Dave is the bald one on the right.  The second addition this year was the turkey legs.  Kerry (in front) smoked them and brought them.  They were huge.  Jared loved his!


I warned you this would be a long post.  Prepare for picture overload.  :)


My cute nephew, Colby.  Seriously, I could just eat him up!


Sadie and Sara = Double Trouble!!!


Just a few of the Allen nieces; Abby, Brynn, Katie and Jenna.  Aren't they a darling bunch!


Ethan, why do you look like you're in pain?


I told Max to smile and he made this face, ha!  Love it, Max!


Jake


Olivia


Scott and Cher


Jonathan


"I am smiling!"  says Jared.  I love you, honey!  I also appreciate your patience with my need to take too many pictures.


This is my brother Dave's wife, Robin.  She is assured a spot in the celestial kingdom for putting up with that guy for eternity.  Not many people could do what she does.  :)  Just teasing you, Dave.  We love you, Robin!


My little brother, Jared and my little sister, Lisa.


Me and Lisa


Sorry about my horrible picture taking timing, Dad.  (He had just taken a bite of his turkey leg when I snapped the picture!)


Scott and Max

As you can see we had a fabulous day.  A huge thanks to our service men and women who put it all on the line for our freedoms.  What an amazing country we live in.  I hope my kids will always have a love and appreciation for all that has been done for them to ensure this free land they live in.




No comments:

Post a Comment