Walker Family

Walker Family

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Year of No Candy

At the beginning of 2011, Jared and I told the kids if they could go an entire year without eating any candy we would pay them each $100. All of them decided this was a terrific plan and thus began the year of no candy. Sadie lasted a total of 18 hours. What can you expect from a then four year old kid. Abby made it until Valentine's Day. Apparently the candy was calling her name and begging her to eat it. She couldn't disappoint the candy. Jenna and Ethan made it the whole year. Now, I'm not a big candy eater so this would not have been a difficult thing for me. However, think about how much candy is thrown at kids all year long. There are countless candy holidays along with all the candy they give out for every reason under the sun at school. There were plenty of temptations. I frequently heard them saying, "That candy isn't worth $100." This was no small task for these little cuties. Nevertheless, they made it! Today was their first official day they could eat candy in a year. The second we walked in the door from church they both went for it. I had to snap a picture of the momentous event. I don't think I've ever seen Ethan eat a candy bar so fast. It was actually kind of disgusting. Now for my parent payday. I asked them what they were going to do with their money. Jenna is, of course, going to go shopping. Typical teenage girl, no surprise there. Ethan, however, made my day when he said, "I'm going to put mine in my savings account. I'm going to need some money when it's time for my mission and college and I don't have enough yet." I love knowing that he really is listening, even when I think he isn't.

4 comments:

  1. That is so cute about Ethan-what a sweetie! A year with no candy is awesome! My two oldest boys are on their second year of no soda, so they can kind of relate! They get an ipad to share if they make it to July. It's fun to throw challenges at them to see what they will do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No soda, that's a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering if their bodies had any sort of reaction to the candy once they ate it?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No reaction that I could tell. Ethan was a little wild and crazy, but truthfully that's not a whole lot different for him. :)

    ReplyDelete