Walker Family

Walker Family

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Wonderful Grandma

Tonight Abby was working on a paper for her school class.  She sat downstairs and typed away on the computer for about an hour.  Then she asked me if I would proofread it.  That's when I discovered that her paper was to be written about the saddest time in her life.  Here's what she wrote:

 
My Wonderful Grandma
            My Grandma has been sick for a very long time.  She had a sickness called called Lupus.  Her lungs didn’t work that well either, so she had to be on oxygen.  I was always sad when I saw her laying in bed.  But she always had a good attitude about it.
            A couple of times in the school year my mom had to work later, and my dad had to work and couldn’t take the day off.  So we would walk to our grandparents house.  When we walked in our grandpa would help us with our homework.   Then we would hear our grandma yell “Tom let the kids come in here!”  We would go in and she would tell us amazing stories.  She would tell us about her childhood, and what our mom did when she was little.  I always loved to see her and talk to her. 
            One fresh spring day my parents said that grandma couldn’t breathe that well and that she would die soon.  They said that we were going to go to the rehab center and say a final goodbye.  I felt so sad, so heartbroken.  When we went in to say goodbye she hugged each and every one of us.  It was kind of hard to hear her because she couldn’t breathe well.  When I went up to say goodbye I gave her a hug.  I heard her whisper in my ear “I love you.”  I whispered back “I love you too.”  We had to go.  I didn’t want to.  I wanted to stay.  But, I knew that I had to leave.  I waved to her and looked back at her one more time, then we left while my mom talked with her for a little bit longer. 
            That fresh, spring Saturday morning I was practicing the piano.  I couldn’t get my mind off thinking about my Grandma.  I stopped for a minute to figure out a note.  I heard someone crying.  It sounded familiar.  It was my mom!  I said.  “Mom?”  My dad was at her side comforting her.  I thought for a minute that it couldn't have happened?  Tears started streaming down my face.  My mom looked at me and said “Grandma died.”  I burst into tears.  All my siblings came in and my mom told the rest of them that Grandma had died.  They all burst into tears too.  A week later we went to her funeral.  
 
Yep, cried my eyes out the whole time I read it.  That little darling of mine sure knows how to make her mama cry.   I'm so glad that she has some good memories of my mom.  I'm so sad that she can't have more time in this life with her.

1 comment:

  1. I just cried my eyes out too, reading it. It was so sweet and tender. I am so sorry for your loss and for each of your children. Grandma's are the most special of people! I still remember losing mine and it was over 20 years ago. Thank you for sharing and give that girl of yours a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete