Walker Family

Walker Family

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Queen Turns 6!

When Sadie was about four years old she walked around our house for about two weeks telling everyone she was the queen.  The first few days it was cute.  After that, her reign became a dictatorship.  She wouldn't obey and ordered the other kids around, after all she "was the queen."  After two weeks I finally sat her down and informed her that she was NOT the queen.  She argued whole-heartedly for a minute, until I got smart and told her that I was the queen.  She was shocked!  "I never knew that!"  she exclaimed.  The entire situation became really comical at that point.  She walked away from our little discussion and immediately ran to Abby and said, "Did you know Mom is the queen?  I never knew that!"  Needless to say, Jared and I still refer to Sadie as "The Queen of Everything" but only behind her back.  Thus, the reason for the title of this post.

Sadie turned 6 on August 4th.  Being that she is the last child to have a birthday in our family each year she is always excited.  The night before her birthday, she came to me at 7:00 and informed me that I needed to put her to bed.  She said, "Tomorrow is my birthday and I don't want to be grouchy.  Also, I need plenty of beauty rest."  Who was I to argue with a kid who WANTS to go to bed early?  I tucked her right in.

One thing I didn't consider with my choice?  The consequence, which was a little tap, tap, tapping on my arm at 6:40 on a Saturday morning.  "Mommy, wake up!  It's my birthday!"  She crawled her cute, little self in bed with me.  Truthfully, I enjoyed our little snuggle together that morning.  She's growing so fast, sometimes I want to stop the clock.  So, I took full advantage of our time together. 

It wasn't long before she had Jared awake.  One birthday tradition at our house is that the birthday child gets to choose breakfast, lunch and dinner on their special day.  Sadie had chosen donuts.  (Yuck!)  I realize it's not the most healthy of meals, but I doubt anyone will die from eating a donut for breakfast one morning each year.  Sadie convinced Jared to get out of bed and take her to the store to choose them.  They were so wonderful to her and the other kids.  I guess that should tell you how often I buy donuts.  (Yuck!)

After donuts, (Yuck!) she insisted on opening her gifts.  Jared tried and tried to talk her into going back to bed without opening them, but she wouldn't have any of that nonsense.  What is it about dads that have so much fun teasing their children?  :)  I suppose it's one of the ways they show their love for them.






She's so cute, I could die.  Jared and I decided she was finally old enough to get her ears pierced.  She was sooooo excited!  There was screaming and jumping up and down.  You might say, it was all that and a bag of chips.   Here she is right before they pierced her little ears.


And here she is right after she got them pierced.  They are pink diamond studs, can there be anything better than pink diamonds?  Not in Sadie's world there's not.


Funny side note:  We saw Grandpa Walker the day after she got them pierced.  She insisted on having her hair in a bun so he could see how beautiful they were. 

We also gave her a jewelry box.  This was a particularly difficult gift for me to get for her.  My mom used to get all the granddaughters a jewelry box.  This was the year Sadie would have gotten that from her.  I cried my eyes out as I wrapped that gift, thinking about how much my mom would have loved to give it to her.  She would have loved sitting with Sadie as she put all her new earrings in it.  It broke my heart, but I knew I wanted her to have one just like the other girls did.  When she opened it I told her how Grandma always gave those to the girls and I wanted her to think of it as a little gift from her.  I hope she will.





Have you ever heard of a Lalaloopsy?  Apparently they are all the rage with little girls that are the age of The Queen.  She adores them.  My other kids harass her non-stop about how creepy they think they are.  She insists they're pretty.  I don't think they're hideous, but I don't adore them either.  Still, Sadie wanted a lalaloopsy cake and who am I to argue with The Queen.


She was so happy about her cake.  She decided to pose next to it for my picture.  I sure do love this little girl!  There are so many days when I see her growing so big, so fast that I want to scream, "Stop it right now!"  That happy little smile brings so much joy and laughter into our home. 





Her new bear "Lulu" really wanted to help her blow out those candles.  So, it's official.  My baby is six!  How did that happen so quickly?  When I was a child, I always thought it was so strange how parents would carry on about how quickly time flies and how shocked they are by it.  Now I think I understand a little better.  I feel like I just brought this little "pink one" home from the hospital.  She was such a cute, chubby little bundle.  Now she's bigger and not such a bundle anymore.  However, she still makes me just as happy, if not more, as she did the day they placed her in my arms for the first time.  I love you, my little Sadie Lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment