Walker Family

Walker Family

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Last Weekend

Since this was the last weekend before school starts, we decided to make the most of it.  Friday night, Jared's sisters, Janelle and Elizabeth, along with their families came to our house for a BBQ.  The weather was beautiful, the food was fabulous and the company was so fun.  We had a great time visiting and comparing notes from our summers.  My kids were so excited to have cousins coming over.  I remember loving playing with my cousins as a child.  As a result, I love my kids to have good relationships with their cousins.


Abby, Nicole and Jenna





Rachael and Sadie  (Don't be fooled by those cute faces, these two are trouble.  Janelle and I are seriously worried for ourselves as they get older.  They are darling though.)

Saturday morning after a nice, long sleep in, we headed up to Midway.  There's a cheese factory up there that we love to visit.  We stopped for some awesome cheese curds and took them with us to the park for lunch.  The park in Midway is fairly new and very rarely is anyone there.  My kids love the playground there.  I'm not sure why, but they call it the Dinosaur Park.  After lunch Sadie headed straight for the tower where she screamed, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!"




Ethan and Abby were obsessed with the Olympics a few weeks ago.  Their obsession joined us in Midway, where they decided that monkey bar crossing should become an Olympic event.


























Here are two of the Olympic spectators.

After the park, we came home and lazied about.  We have had a busy summer.  It was so nice to watch a movie without any pressing thing pulling us away.  

That night, Jared and I had been invited to join some friends on a bike ride.  We all rented tandem bikes and rode up to the trailhead for Bridal Veil Falls.  I had never ridden a tandem bike before, none of us had.  However, it was seriously so fun!  I would totally do it again.  While we were riding, I was thinking about my grandparents.  They made their living running a bicycle shop for years in California.  They were well respected because of their honesty and fairness to their customers and everyone.  When they had their 50th wedding anniversary a big party was thrown in their honor.  One song they played at the party was, "A Bicycle Built For Two."  The song goes something like this:

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage.
But you'll look sweet, upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

My Grandmother's name was Daisy, so the song was very fitting.  I grew up hearing my mom tell all about the bike shop, the 50th wedding anniversary and that song.  The way I hear it, it was a pretty touching event.  I wish I could have been there.  A little part of me hopes my grandparents and my mom were watching us having so much fun together.  I know my mom would have loved to hear Jared and I tell her all about our night.  





















1 comment:

  1. Awww. . . thanks for humoring me. Jared on that bike-so great. BTW, Shawn and I thought of a new line of clothes for those sweet looking girls. Something like a t-shirt with a line from the Incredible Hulk. . ."Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete