Walker Family

Walker Family

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The $10 Jacket

As has become tradition, I took the three girls to Park City last Friday to do some back to school shopping.  My sister, Lisa and her daughter, Brynn came with us.  It's a fun time for all of us and Jared and Ethan love having the day to themselves without any girls.  Each year I try to convince them to join us, but to date, they have never chosen to.  In fact, this year when I asked Ethan if he was sure he didn't want to come I threw in an extra little comment.  I said, "If you don't come you might not have any new clothes for school."  He had his typical boy response, "That's fine, I don't need any new clothes, I still have some."  He always makes me laugh.

We spent all afternoon and all evening shopping.  Sadie had gotten two $5 bills and a $10 bill from her Grandpas for her birthday the week before.  There had been no end to the talk about how she had a "10 dollar".  So, I was a little surprised when she brought all that money shopping with us.  She was good and didn't really try to spend it.  She had plenty of things she wanted me to spend my money on, just none she wanted to spend hers on. 

At one point during our shopping trip the older girls were trying on clothes in Abercrombie and Fitch.  She was standing by the accessories, her favorite part of any store, and I was paying very little attention to what she was doing.  I soon discovered the error of my ways.





In case you're wondering, yes, that is a belt around her head.  "Mom, how does this look for first grade?"  All I could say was, "Wow!"  Thankfully, I was able to convince her that the belt and glasses were too big.  Talk about dodging a bullet!

Around 8:30 we walked into the last store.  My sister, Lisa, and Sadie had walked ahead.  Lisa was trying things on so Sadie decided to join in on the fun.  She came over wearing a darling pink and white striped jacket.

"Mom, how do I look?  Isn't this jacket totally first grade?"

"Yes, Sadie.  But you already have two jackets, you really don't need another one."

"But, this one looks like first grade."

"I know, but not today."

"Can I buy it with my 10 dollar?"

"I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than your 10 dollar."

"I don't think so, it's on sale."

"Really?  How much is it?"

"I don't know, I'll go ask."

At this point she marched her six year old self right up to the cashier, dropped the jacket on the counter and said, "How much dollars is this?"  The girl told her it was $19.99.  She turned to me and said,  "Is that more than my 10 dollar?"  I explained that it was.  I had brought some coupons with us, knowing this, she asked, "Do you have anymore coupons?"  This was when I realized that she wasn't having a passing fancy, she really wanted this jacket.  I told her that I did have more coupons, and was she sure she wanted to spend her 10 dollar on that jacket.  I was so surprised by what came next.  She began reasoning with herself about the jacket.  She was looking at the ground, basically thinking aloud.  It went like this.

"I've never had a 10 dollar before.  But I really want that jacket because it's pink and it totally looks like first grade."  She stopped here, turned to the cashier and said,

"Don't you think it totally looks like first grade?"

She was trying her hardest not to laugh, as she answered her with, "Oh yeah, it definitely looks like first grade." 

The reasoning continued,

"If I don't have a jacket, I'll be really cold at recess in the winter.  I might die from the cold!  Yes, I definitely want the jacket."  (This is where I was thinking, "Yeah, right, I'm going to let my kid freeze to death on the playground.  You have THREE OTHER JACKETS!)  To my credit, I kept that one to myself.

She turned to me and asked again for the coupon.  What could I do?  I pulled out the coupon, winked at the cashier and said, "I think with this coupon it will make the jacket $10."  Being a smart girl, she ran the coupon through and looked at Sadie with a big smile and said, "Sure enough, $10."  To which my little Sadie delightedly replied, "I will take it!"  $10 later for her (and $6.01 later for me) she walked out of her store with her new jacket and a happy skip, all because of a jacket.  When we got home, she ran in and showed Jared the jacket.  "I bought it myself with my 10 dollar!  Don't worry though, I still have my 5 dollar and also a loose tooth.  So, I'll have more money soon."  Is anyone besides me worried about how much money she's expecting to get for that loose tooth?

I have to tell you, none of my other kids are like her.  They would never have pranced up to a sales associate and had a conversation with them about a jacket.  They also would never have commented about their clothes, accessories, etc. being totally first grade, or any grade for that matter.  All I can figure is this is a result of her older sister's influence.  She just puts her own unique spin on everything.  

Later that night I told Jared the story of the $10 jacket.  He listened and laughed.  Then he said, "I don't know how you shop with her, she's exhausting!"  Tell me about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment