Walker Family

Walker Family

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Our Christ Centered Christmas

I had always wanted to find the perfect way to help our children focus on Christ more during December.  However, I didn't want to completely eliminate the magic that Santa Clause and little elves add to the season.  I had been throwing the idea around for a few years, I had even discussed it some with Jared and my sister, Lisa.  Lisa is the one who found the book and shared it with me.  It was what I had always wanted, but I wasn't sure how to pull it off.  Thanks to author Emily Freeman, I finally figured it out.  

The book is called, A Christ Centered Christmas:  Seven Traditions to Lead Us Closer to the Savior.  In the book she talks about each member of the nativity in more detail and gives ideas for how to implement new traditions in your family to keep your focus where it should be...on the Christ child.  The first time I read it I cried, I knew this was what I wanted for my family.  Jared was excited as well, so we began this tradition three years ago.  I wondered how the kids would react.  At the risk of sounding too cheesy, they loved it.  For seven nights during the Christmas season, our family has a little lesson and then activity centered around a different person or persons who were involved in the birth of Christ.  I love it, it has changed how I enjoy the season.  You see, I've always enjoyed the season, it's my favorite time of year.  Now, I enjoy it in a completely different way.  We love watching our kids learn and grow stronger testimonies of our Lord and Savior.

We had our lesson a couple of weeks ago about the Wisemen.  We learned about how they protected the Christ child by returning home a different way, instead of returning to King Herrod.  We talked about how sometimes in our lives we have to do things a different way to honor our covenants to our Heavenly Father.  We learned about the angels and the good tidings of great joy they delivered to the shepherds.  The hymns remind us of the incredible miracle that is Christ's birth.  

Tonight we sat around our kitchen table and learned about the shepherds.  The shepherds are my favorite.  Tonight I shared three lessons we learn from the shepherds.  First, we learn to answer the call to follow Jesus Christ "now" and "with haste". (Luke 2:15-16)  Second, we learn to surround ourselves with good friends who will encourage us to seek the Savior and will want to seek Him with us.  (Luke 2:15)  Lastly, we learn how important it is to spread our testimonies abroad.  We share our light and love of Christ by sharing our testimonies in words and by our example. (Luke 2:17-18)  We finished around our table with each of us holding an unlit candle.  We each took turns sharing our testimonies with one another and then lighting our candle.  As a parent, there are no words for the awesome spirit that is present in your home as you listen to your little ones share their love of the Savior.  I know this night has given me a memory that I will always hold dear.  

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Thanks! Looks like a great Christmas holiday for you guys!

    ReplyDelete