Walker Family

Walker Family

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Your Life In One Sentence

A few weeks ago we received a call from Jared's brother that every person dreads.  Jared's mom has been diagnosed with a massive, inoperable brain tumor.  The initial diagnosis gave her one week to live.  She has been a trooper though.  With the benefit of modern medicine, she is still with us.  We know her days are numbered, but are grateful for the time she has left to share with her family.

When we received the phone call we immediately made preparations to go to Idaho.  It was pretty amazing to see all 10 of their children along with spouses and grandchildren together.  All of us, except for one grandson on a mission, were there.  It was such a great testimony builder of eternal families. 

Before we left, Jared had a quick paper to write for one of his Master's classes.  He went down to the office to do his school work while I packed and loaded the car.  A few minutes passed before he called me down.  I walked in and he said, "What's my one sentence?"  I was completely baffled, I had no idea what he was talking about.  He handed me a book he was reading and pointed out a paragraph he wanted me to read.  The author's basic idea was this.  Each person has one sentence that defines his life, the person he is, his character, etc.  He used Abraham Lincoln as his example.  I don't remember what his sentence was for him, but it had something to do with abolishing slavery and winning the Civil War.  For part of Jared's paper, he had to write what his one sentence was or would be.

I'm not sure why, but I haven't been able to get that off my mind.  At first, I pondered about whether or not I agreed with the author.  After I decided that I did agree, I've wondered often what my one sentence will be.  The thing is, I don't know what it will be.  Initially I thought that I had time to make my one sentence whatever I wanted.  But, Jared's mom is a perfect example of the falsehood of that statement.  We never know how much time we have left on this earth.  If I were to die tomorrow, what would my family and friends say about me?

I realized that I have been blessed with the perfect opportunity and I have embraced it.  I've been given a reminder to align my priorities correctly and to be sure that I'm being the best person I can be.  I'm not perfect and I don't have it all figured out, but I'm working towards it.  If nothing else, this experience has given me a new zest for seeking the best things. 

Who knew I could get that much out of Jared's homework assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment