Walker Family

Walker Family

Monday, December 9, 2013

I Was Not His Father, He Was Mine


Each year we spend several nights during December talking about different people who were present at the birth of Jesus Christ.  It's a tradition we started a few years ago that we have come to love.  I love studying about Christ's birth and I love sharing the things I learn with my cute little family. 

Tonight we discussed Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus Christ.  We imagined how he must have felt wandering through Bethlehem looking for a place for he and Mary to stay.  I asked the everyone how they thought he felt.  Jared said, "inadequate" and Ethan said, "sad".  I think they were both right.  I think there were probably many times in Joseph's life that he felt inadequate and sad.  His was not an easy calling.  Yet, he didn't shirk from his duties.  I definitely think there is a lesson to be learned there.  Even when times are difficult and we're sad, when we feel inadequate to accomplish the task that has been placed before us, we turn our face towards God and through Him all things are possible.

We also discussed how Joseph was filled with a serving heart.  He surely spent that night serving Mary and the newborn Christ child.  His service certainly didn't end there.  He spent his life serving this child that technically wasn't even his son.  What love he must have had for our Heavenly Father and what love he must have had for our Savior.  Surely he is a man to be honored and revered. 

We began a new tradition in our home tonight.  I have given one of our children a Christmas jingle bell to use as their symbol of service.  They will do a secret act of service for someone in our family.  When they are finished they will leave the jingle bell on that person's pillow and then it will be their turn to do an act of service.  Why are we doing this, you might ask.  When we were discussing tonight I asked everyone what Jesus would want us to give this season and Ethan said, "Kindness and our hearts".  I couldn't agree more. 

(Above picture by Simon Dewey)

No comments:

Post a Comment