Walker Family

Walker Family

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Behold Your Little Ones

The primary program was today in our ward.  For those of you who don't know we are members of the LDS church.  In our church there is one meeting each year when the primary aged children (ages 3-11) spend the hour teaching the ward the things they have learned in primary that year.  I have always loved the primary program.  Even 100 years ago when I was in primary I loved the program.  Today was no exception.

I'm always moved to tears as these little children stand and recite scriptures and tidbits they have learned.  They sing songs about the concepts they have discussed all year.  In short, they offer testimonies of Jesus Christ and His restored gospel on the earth through words and music.  It's quite inspiring. 

I sat watching and listening today thinking about how blessed we are to be members of the true church of God on the earth.  These children are being raised to know that God loves them and they are His children.  What a great anchor for our children in a world that is filled with uncertainty.  I wept as they sang these words:

If the Savior stood beside me, 
would I do the things I do?  
Would I think of His commandments, 
and try harder to be true?  
Would I follow His example?  
Would I live more righteously
If I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?

He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly,
I am in His watchful care.
So I'll be the kind of person
that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me.

When the children were finished with their program, the bishop stood and shared a scripture from The Book of Mormon.  It's a verse in 3rd Nephi when Jesus Christ visits the people in the Americas after His resurrection.  It reads:

He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.  And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude and said unto them: Behold your little ones.

I truly believe we can learn much from a child.  I know that today my testimony in Jesus Christ, my Savior and the Redeemer of the world was strengthened by a primary full of Heavenly Father's little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment